Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Missing my winters

I thought I would share the differences in winters between up home and here. Don't take me wrong there is a huge difference in both places and of course because Canada is up north they expect snow and a lot of snow and are prepared for it. I do not think that North Carolinians understand the snow Canadians get and of course, being Canadian I will always struggle with.......

Really you cancelled school for this?



There is no bread or milk on the shelves for this?


Lets face facts here North Carolina can not afford to spend money on snow removal and the such when snow literally happens about 3 times per year and it is rarely over 2 inches and lasts only 24 hours. I understand this and I also understand that it is easier and cheaper to just tell folks to stay off the roads.

However here is what we as in Canada calls snow.....

This was a road made by a snow plow....


This is my dad, he is about 6 feet tall without his arm extended......


This was a neighbors car.....


Growing up I never had a snow day we woke up earlier climbed out a window and shoveled the snow drifts away from the door then shoveled the driveway so we could get to school and work. The first and last snow day I ever had was the ice storm of 1998. We received an excessive amount of freezing rain which caused wide spread damage to trees and power lines. The power outages lasted nearly 2 weeks where we were living at that time. We shared a generator with a neighbor, we used candles and oil lamps for light, we cooked on our family's Coleman stove we used for camping. We embraced this time and instead of panicking, we enjoyed an indoor camping trip and good quality family time together.

This was me at 16 years old in a Skidoo suite refueling the generator about a week into the power outages.


I miss the snow and all the fun I had growing up in it, I wish my kids could experience all the wonderful things Canada has to offer in the Winter time.

Until next time.....Jenn

No comments:

Post a Comment