Friday, January 23, 2015

Recipe: Bacon Corn Chowder

It is a chilly day in small town, North Carolina. I went to town to run my errands and came home with a chill in my bones. Brian left for work and it was sleeting outside, I decided to make soup to warm up my insides. This is a recipe from my mom you can often find her at http://besidethetrail.ca/hatsnhospitalitea/ She made this soup and many other wonderful things when we were kids growing up. My grandmother (my mom's mom) was also a great cook although she hated to be in the kitchen. I have never tasted one of her meals that was not absolutely delicious. I do not remember my granny doing a lot of baking other then the most delicious apple crisp that ALWAYS turned out perfect.

I guess the ability to cook was past down to me and my brother Chef Matthew by our mother and our grandmother the difference is unlike granny we enjoy to be in the kitchen. Which is probably the reason Matt went on to become a chef and our mom opened a tearoom serving the best scones I have ever tasted. These scones became famous and her tearoom was listed in Chatelian's top 10 tea rooms in Canada. http://www.chatelaine.com/recipes/chatelainekitchen/canada-best-tea-rooms/

She went from Chatelaine magazine to The Guardian, her local newspaper.  http://www.theguardian.pe.ca/Living/2014-06-21/article-3771464/A-thirst-for-tea-on-P.E.I./1

Bacon Corn Chowder

1 pound bacon diced and cooked
1 onion diced
3-4 potaoes (I used 3 cans of diced potatoes rinsed well)
16 oz. (1 pt) heavy cream
5-6 cans of cream corn
salt and pepper to taste.

Put heavy cream in large pot to heat on low. Dice bacon and onion and cook together in a frying pan. It is easier to cut the bacon if it is partially frozen.




While the bacon and onion are cooking I dump potatoes and cream corn into the cream and stir. If you dice your own potatoes its sometimes easier to partially pre boil them, drain and then add them to cook the rest of the way. Drain the fat from the bacon and onions then add to the soup. Heat another 20 minutes on low (or until potatoes are cooked) salt and pepper to taste......enjoy


No comments:

Post a Comment